- Raptor Fest
- The Eagle’s Nest
- #PhotoSafari: For The Birds
- The West Coast
- Any Fog is Good Fog
- Doing It Yourself
- University Video Essays
- #PHOTOSAFARI: Pacific National Exhibition 2012
- Photosafari: Sasquatch! 2012
- That’s All Folks!
- One Small Space
- Riverside teaser-trailer
- “We’ll do it live…”
- Making a promotional video for a reality-TV show about making a horror flick…
- Federal Funding Cuts for the Renfrew Moon Festival
- Seattle Remembers 9/11
- My Local Online Scammer is Actually a Plagiarist…
- RT @brianstelter: CNN sent Bill Hennessy, the network's regular Supreme Court sketch artist, to the White House briefing today. https://t.c… 10 hours ago
- Listening to Pink Floyd's Time gets more disconcerting with every passing year. 15 hours ago
- @LisachristCBC Probably kept it classified to cover up the Gender Pay Gap. #FourMillionSevenHundredAndFourtyThousandDollarWoman 17 hours ago
- @FoxNews There's your obstructionists. 1 day ago
- RT @Alyssa_Milano: Not you, @tedcruz. You're not invited. 😉 https://t.co/1NTZFvwk9h 1 day ago
Word Cloud100.5 FM The Peak Afghanistan Against Me! animals B.C. Liberals B.C. Supreme Court Bill Tieleman Bill Vander Zalm birds Black Mountain Bountiful British Columbia Burnaby camping Canada Canucks CBSC CHOZ-FM Clearbrook Entertainment comment COSCO Das Racist Dire Straits eagle education Facebook Fight the HST FLDS Foo Fighters George Gordon Campbell government Hannah Georgas HST Indie-rock Joel Ross Matthew J. Van Deventer Mitchell Black MLB Money for Nothing Music news photography photos Police politics Polygamy Prisoners Reifel Bird Sanctuary Sam Roberts Band Sasquatch Sasquatch 2011 Sasquatch Music Festival Seattle social network Spring Summer The Biltmore The Chase The Flaming Lips The Gorge The Peak The Peak Performance Artists The RedRoom the thermals This is Good Vancouver Vancouver-Point Grey Vancouver music Vancouver Public Library VPD Washington WestCoast Pop Concert Series Westham Island Wolf Parade
What do you do when you’re down in the dumps? I like to photograph eagles.
Seriously, there are scores of eagles by the Metro Vancouver Landfill. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel.
Bald and Golden eagles camp out along the fringe of the dump/Burns Bog. It’s a prime location for anyone interested in photographing birds of prey.
After the Victoria Film Festival, I made the drive to Long Beach.
I was not disappointed.
The drive across the island was beautiful. There’s so many vistas and opportunities to snag a quick pic (like the one above at Kennedy Lake and below in Cathedral Grove).
From GoPros attached to quadcopters to gimmicky iPhone lens clips, Rafferty Baker and I are always talking about what gear we need to get a great shot.
About a month ago we went out and bought some cheap skateboard wheels and ball-bearings. The plan was to build track dollies for those sweet “unchained” shots.
For the longest time, I was unsure how to tackle the design of the dolly until I saw two old fridge door handles at work. I decided to shelf the track dolly plan for a relatively smaller rail-glider. The two handles were screwed together to create a seamless five foot rail.
After consulting various DIY walkthroughs and hours in Home Depot, I spent most of the day constructing this rail-glider chassis.
It’s far from perfect but it’s a start in the right direction.
The other day, I helped put together a little minute-long video essay for a friend of mine. He came to me looking for help with his NYU Wagner video application.
Before setting out to record this short personal message, we sat down and looked at what other people had submitted to various NYU programs.
I was amused at the quality of the competition. A vast majority of video essays were shot off of a laptop’s webcam….
… while others were shot vertically, quite possibly from an iPhone.
I guess that’s alright for Buffalo Hot-Wings, but we needed something a little more interesting.
It was a quick little exercise and I felt it went alright. Hopefully it’ll pay off for my friend Robbie.